One of the most important garments for your wardrobe is the crisp white shirt. It’s classic and a fabulous canvas for adding accessories.
It may surprise you to know that you can easily mix ‘n’ match a white shirt with quite a few of the garments already in your wardrobe. It’s an incredibly versatile garment. It’s a MUST have girls!
I recommend at least 5 crisp white shirts in your wardrobe.
- Cotton or linen shirts hold their shape and allow your body to breath. Excellent for the humid climates. Whilst the satin or silk shirts drape beautifully and are very feminine.
- I personally find long sleeves more flattering, you can roll them up during warm weather. Three Quarter sleeves are fine too.
- Have at least 3 shirts with a stiff collar. If you’re feeling a little bit like a rebel, wear the collar UP, it’s very French and just divine.
- The grandfather collar is quite flattering as well. With the grandfather collar, I recommend shirts that are oversized and cinched in at the waist with a wide belt.
- Select shirts that are fitted as well as loose, and at least one oversized, for different purposes. The fitted shirt with a little bit of stretch is easy to wear, tucked in or worn out. Ensure the oversized shirt is made from soft material like brushed cotton or linen so that it drapes and flows freely around your body.
- It’s up to you on whether the shirt has pockets. Personally, I prefer a fitted shirt WITHOUT pockets. It gives a clean line over my curves. Although shirts with pockets will cleverly camouflage an ample bosom!
Article is published on the Women's Network Australia website.
'The White Shirt - A Girl's Best Friend' Part Two coming soon...